"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." - Mark Twain
You have just completed your thesis, a term paper, a letter to a new client, or a press release, and you've read it and re-read it, but you're just not sure if it's right. You're not certain if you have communicated your ideas in the clearest and most effective way possible. There are words and sentences that you're not happy with, but you're not sure how to fix them. This is the point in the writing process when you need a professional editor or an editing service!
Good writing comes from good, professional editing. A good editor does more than correct mistakes. A good editor can help you turn a lightning bug into lightning!
The following are 10 reasons to hire an editor or a professional editing service:
- An editor offers a fresh pair of eyes. You have spent hours, perhaps days, weeks, or even months creating your document. Whether you've dashed off a quick press release or have spent months crafting a thesis, it is difficult to edit your own work and to see certain problems in your writing. A fresh pair of eyes can freely see and correct any issues of which you are unaware or have overlooked. Perhaps you've used "thus" five times in two paragraphs, or there is a word that you consistently misuse. A professional editor will help catch these and many other errors.
- An editor offers an objective pair of eyes. A professional editor will not be shy to critique your writing, as his or her main concern is making your work as strong as possible. While a friend or colleague may hesitate to tell you that an entire paragraph needs to be deleted or to point out various grammatical errors, a professional editor will gladly address these issues and work with you on making improvements.
- An editor saves you time. Hiring a professional editing service, will save you hours, maybe even days, of precious time. Rather than spending time re-reading your work for the 6th, 7th, or 10th time, you can move on to another project, knowing that your work is being edited in a timely, professional manner.
- An editor saves you frustration. Hiring a professional editor saves you the frustration of revising your work alone. The job of a professional editing service is to correct and improve your document and to collaborate with you in the process so that you can quickly find answers to questions about grammar, style, word choice, flow, etc.
- An editor is a paid professional. Good editing is a job. When you hire an editor, you are hiring a professional to do what he or she does best: edit! Searching for incorrectly spelled words, reorganizing paragraphs, double-checking style guides, finding the perfect word to tighten up a sentence-these are things that a professional editor actually likes to do. Because editors are paid for their expertise, their job is to make sure that your writing is as polished, professional, and powerful as possible.
- An editor helps you improve language use. A professional editor can improve your word usage so that your ideas are communicated as effectively as possible. Professional editors can correct a wide array of language-related concerns, from improving word choice to smoothing out English as a Second Language issues.
- An editor can develop your projects. A professional editor can help you with a variety of projects such as resume/CV creation, manuscript formatting, professional letter writing, query packages, and marketing materials.
- An editor helps you create the best possible product. Whether you want to make sure you receive a high mark on a paper, publish your article, or impress your clients, you know that your writing will need to be in top form and free from grammatical and stylistic errors. A professional editor will work with you to make sure that your final document is the best possible product.
- An editor is versatile. Many professional editors have experience in specific fields-from liberal arts to business to science-and can often assist you with your area of expertise.
- An editor can help you improve your writing. A good editor not only fixes your mistakes, but he or she will also help you improve your own writing. A professional editor will show you errors and style issues you may never have noticed before, and by showing you ways to correct and improve your writing, you are learning how to increase your own ability as a writer.